Nonfiction Reading Strategies that Boost Comprehension
Based on the research by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis, and an on-going staff development training with the Bainbridge Island School District teachers, Barry Hoonan will share dynamic informational reading strategies that have been successful in boosting reading comprehension and increased students reading on non-fiction materials.
In this active workshop, participants will learn:
- how to create student developed anchor charts that reveal how good readers read
- how to use think aloud demonstrations in examining critical text
- how students use post-its, journal entries, charts and notes to keep track of their own thinking
- how to apply thoughtful non-fiction reading responses that involve writing, drawing, and drama
- how to help readers understand the role of text features and text structures in informational text.
- how to help readers gain a critically literate stance while reading nonfiction.
Presented by: Barry Hoonan