Catalyst Book Consulting, Inc.
Download Printer Friendly Version (PDF)
Job Description: Consultant on Children's and Young Adult books for Educators, Parents, and Curriculum Specialists
Summary of Qualifications
- Can speak to administrators, teachers, librarians, parents and kids to guide and inspire them about choosing and utilizing the best trade books for meeting reading and literature goals for every grade level!
- Works well within the education community, reflecting 17 years of work as a classroom teacher, librarian, and curriculum consultant specializing in children's literature, reading skills, TAG programming and teacher training.
- Knows book publishing and retail sales from 14 years of running a successful bookstore specializing in finding the best books for kids and the people who love and work with them...posted 40% sales growth in the last 18 months of 2000-2001!
- Possesses a wide range of knowledge about classic and current children's books and Middle Grade/Young Adult novels and is adept at adapting this knowledge to various educational and organizational goals!
- Conversant in up-to-the minute techniques for teaching reading, writing and literature skills as well as the best professional resources for administrators and teachers at all public school levels!
- Present: Developed and taught "Nonfiction in the Elementary Grades K to 5" for the Bureau of Research and Development, Bellingham, WA (Will be teaching this class for at least one week in March 2005, with option for more)
- Developing and trying-out a new BER course, "Bringing Boys to Books Grades 3-8" this Spring, 2005
- Helped develop the new Northwest Center for Children's Literature, Concordia University, Portland, OR
2002-2003 Adjunct faculty, Concordia University, Portland, OR
- Developed and taught new graduate level class in "Advanced Children's Literature" for Spring, 2003 semester
- Worked with several school districts to update their library collections and inservice teachers & students on the best new books for kids
- Wrote an article on "American Fantasy Literature" for Booklinks Magazine, published in June/July 2003 issue
- Adjunct faculty, Portland State University, Portland, OR
- Developed and taught "Intro to Children's Literature" course for undergraduate program Fall, 2003 and Spring, 2004
1988 to March, 2002 Catalyst Bookstore, Portland, Oregon
- Ran successful general bookstore for 8 years in busy neighborhood in Portland, Oregon
- Developed school market for school library development, district book purchases and educational conference support sales in Pacific Northwest
- Downsized to educational book sales and consulting in 1996, increasing book sales steadily over the next 6 year period
1980 to 1987 Minter Bridge Elementary School, Hillsboro, OR
- Opened and designed a new library for 600 elementary students and 35 teachers in an open-space, team-based school
1977 to 1980 McKinney Elementary School, Hillsboro, OR
- Taught grades 1, 2, and 3 in team of 75 kids and two other teachers, helping research and grow a vibrant instructional model
1971 to 1976......McKinney Elementary School, Hillsboro, OR
- Taught kindergarten to 2 classes of mixed-ability students daily
- BA in Elementary Education and English, Augustana College
Rock Island, Illinois...Class of 1970 Phi Beta Kappa
- 1977 MLS Library Science, Public and School Libraries Univ of Oregon
Top of Page